Monday, February 25, 2008

5 Kids = too many toys

I need to know....how do you organize? What is your most favorite organizing tip? I LOVE to organize and be organized but I feel like I'm peddling backwards these days. I need new, fresh ideas on how to control the clutter.

I am commonly called the toy nazi by my friends because I do limit the amount of toys our kiddos can have. They joke about having me come over and clean out their kids toys so I'm the bad guy and not them :) It's not because I'm anti-toys, it's called SURVIVAL!

5 kids equals more toys than I could have ever dreamed of!! Here's an example from Christmas...our 3 girls ended up with 4 baby dolls EACH...that's 12, yes...TWELVE baby dolls. That doesn't count the one's they already had. Should I even talk about how many legos and matchbox cars we have/had?!?!?

So, in an attempt to get some control of the toys, I have moved all of the toys to the garage and organized them in totes (like I always have). The kids can bring in one tote at a time...when they are done playing with it, it has to go back to the garage. We started this a year ago with movies and board games and it has worked beautifully. Now to see if it will work with their toys.

I love the idea that if something comes in, something must go out. So, if the kids are given 5 books then we need to find 5 books they no longer read and donate them. We did this right after Christmas and it was great! The kids were actually okay with it, too :) How many barbies and stuffed toys can a child play with anyways?

I want my kids to appreciate what they have and be content with what they have. We live in a city (actually, country) that is very blessed. It's so easy to take that for granted...to always want more and feel like there is always more we need. I want to live a content life!!

Sooooo, I need your help...give me your best ideas!!!!

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 1 Timothy 6:6-8

No comments: